St. Catharines Collegiate Graduation
St. Catharines Collegiate Auditorium
Wednesday June, 26, 2019
The Annual Commencement Exercises have been planned for you for Wednesday, June 26, 2019 in the St. Catharines Collegiate Auditorium. This will be a significant event in your life and it represents the combined effort of many people. The purpose of this letter is to provide you and your family with some basic information about Commencement.
In order to ensure that this will be a successful evening for you, we ask that you please keep the following important points in mind:
THIS YEAR GRADUATES WILL BE WEARING CAPS AND GOWNS.
A $30.00 GRADUATION FEE IS REQUIRED TO COVER
PART OF THAT COST AND A BLACK COMPOSITE FOLDER.
IF YOU HAVE NOT SUBMITTED YOUR GRAD FEE PLEASE
SUBMIT YOUR PAYMENT BY JUNE 1, 2019!!
Please ensure that you fulfill ALL OF YOUR GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS. That includes the completion of at least 30 credits (including the 18 compulsories), successful completion of the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test or Course, and at least 40 hours of community involvement. Please note that your record of community involvement activities must be submitted by June 1, 2019.
- Please make sure you have completed the graduate information form by June 12th and have submitted it to the Guidance Office.The information on this form will enable us to properly introduce you as you receive your diploma at the ceremony.
- Be on time! Graduates should begin arriving at 4.45 p.m. and report directly to the registration desk. By 5:00 p.m. you should be reporting to the designated pre-ceremony marshalling area.
- Follow the instructions of staff. They are there to assist you by ensuring that you are in the proper place at the proper time.
- Smile! You’ll look great and everything will be fine.
The plan for the evening is as follows:
- At approximately 5:00 p.m., graduates will be assembled in the pre-ceremony marshalling area. From this area, the processional will take you into the Auditorium to be seated. Stage guests will enter first, followed by teaching staff, award winners, and graduates. Staff will assist in this process–please follow their lead and direction.
2. AWARD WINNERS will be separated during marshalling so that they may be seated in a separate section. These students will be called to the marshalling area near the beginning of the ceremony to assemble for the presentations–please listen for the announcement. Prior to you and the presenter going on stage, the Master of Ceremonies will introduce the award, describe the criteria, and introduce the presenter and you. At that point, you will be directed to proceed on stage to receive your award. Take the award with your left hand and shake your presenter’s hand with your right. Please don’t run away just yet! Take a moment to allow your family/friends to take a picture. You may then return to your seat unless you are receiving another award. If this is the case you should proceed down the stairs and return to the marshalling area.
3. GRADUATES will be presented with their diplomas during the second half of the ceremony. When your group is called to the marshalling area (again, please listen for the announcement), please leave any awards at your seat and exit with them. In the marshalling area, you will get into line alphabetically and you will be handed your name card. When you reach the backstage announcer’s table, please hand your card to the announcer. At that point, you will be directed to proceed on stage to receive your diploma. Take the diploma with your left hand and shake the presenter’s hand with your right. Again, don’t run away just yet! Take a moment to allow your family/friends to take a picture. You may then return to your seat.
4. At the conclusion of the ceremony, the recessional will proceed out of the Auditorium to the large gym to return your gowns (see #1 on previous page). Proceed directly to the Main Gym Lobby and your guests will meet you there.
5. The ceremony will be followed by a light reception. Graduates and their guests are invited to attend.
6. The ceremony will take approximately two hours and every part of it is considered important. You and your guests are expected to remain until after the concluding recessional.
7. Boutonniere and corsages will not be available. You or your family may like to arrange for one for you. Family and friends are encouraged to take photographs before the ceremony.
8. You and your guests are respectfully reminded that the St. Catharines Collegiate is a smoke-free facility.
9. We will have a babysitting service for younger siblings.
Please direct any questions that you may have to Ms. Belanger, Ms. Lancaster or Mrs. Tenhoeve. You can also check the “Graduation” link on the CI Guidance website.
You can be justly proud of your achievements that have brought you to this evening. As a school, we are very proud of our graduates and we take the opportunity of Commencement to boast that fact.
The Commencement Committee,
St. Catharines Collegiate