How it all began…
Although the Collegiate arrived at 34 Catherine Street in 1923, its history actually began in 1829 when the Grantham Academy first came into being in a tiny structure on Church Street.
In 1845 the Grantham Academy became the St. Catharines District Grammar School and in 1890 the Grammar School was renamed the St. Catharines Collegiate Institute.
In 1923 following World War I at a time when there was an increasing demand for technical education, the St. Catharines Collegiate Institute and Vocational School was constructed at its present site.
During the Depression the school population grew rapidly but far too soon, young men and women left to serve in World War II.
Over 1,400 Collegiate students fought in these wars, and their names are inscribed on the Honour Roll in the second floor rotunda. Silver stars on this honour roll remind us all of the names of those students who paid the "supreme sacrifice" for their country.
In 1949, two wings were added to the original school to accommodate the increasing number of students. In 1965, the Collegiate gained an addition which included shops, labs, classrooms, music rooms and an impressive double gym. In 1969 the final addition provided the school with a beautiful library. September 2006 marked the beginning of a multi-million dollar renovation which was completed in 2008.
With its origin dating back to the "second oldest secondary school in Ontario "the Collegiate is very proud of its history and traditions. For the thousands of students who have attended our school, the Collegiate has consistently offered a world of promise and achievement.
In preparing students for the twenty-first century, the Collegiate makes the commitment to maintain the tradition of excellence that has been a hallmark of the school from its earliest years.
St. Catharines Collegiate has had a long tradition of academic, artistic and athletic excellence nurtured by a faculty committed to preparing students well for postsecondary studies and for their role as responsible and productive members of our society. Our diverse student population, representing over 36 different countries, contributes to an institution where social justice and equity set the framework for a dynamic education driven by 21st
century technologies and teaching styles.
Prime Minister Rt. Hon. Louis St. Laurent Visits Collegiate
Thursday, October 26th, 1950